What I mean when I say “I can’t do that”- Anxiety Version:
- I am unable to do that
- I am too stressed out to do that
- I cannot face the humiliation of attempting to do that
- My body will physically not allow me to do that
- I am on the verge of a panic attack
- I cannot do that
What people hear:
- I am unwilling to do that
- I am just shy
- I am overreacting
- I am lazy
- I need to get more experience in social situation to help my anxiety
- I need a push
- I don’t want to do that
Inspired by X
I always fake around other people. I feel like a million people wrapped up in one. There’s a battle in my mind and feel like I am losing. I don’t know how to tell my loved ones how I feel because I don’t want a sugar-coated response like “You’re not sad” or “Just be happy. ” I exhaust myself just trying to act like I’m okay. I don’t even know what that means anymore.
One of the more helpful and insightful things I’ve seen about depression/suicide in the last couple of days.
If you relapse, repeat after me:
- You are not weak.
- You have not lost this battle.
- You are not selfish.
- You are not out of control.
- All the progress you made hasn’t magically disappeared.
- You are not a failure.
- Life is a cycle of highs and lows- good times are ahead, so keep going forward.
- You matter.